Whether you have just been injured in a car accident, or you are seeking information for a loved one who has just suffered harm as a result of a collision, it is important to know what steps to take next. At the Law Office of Robert B. Dunlap, our Shreveport accident attorney knows how to utilize his knowledge of trial law with over 30+ years of experience to get the positive results his clients deserve. Follow the steps laid out below if you have been in an auto accident in Shreveport.
- Call 911. If anyone is injured or you think they may have been hurt in any way, call emergency services. It is best to have experienced medical professionals at the scene to assess any major injuries and take people to the hospital if necessary.
- Make sure everyone is safe or move to safety. This is especially true if your accident occurred on the freeway or in a busy intersection. It is critical that you do not put yourself at further risk by staying in your car. If you can move your car to the side of the road, do so and wait for the police to show up away from oncoming traffic.
- Gather contact information from all parties involved. Write down the other drivers’ names, phone numbers, email addresses, insurance information, and drivers’ licenses numbers. Also collect the name, address, phone number, email addresses of any witnesses.
- Take pictures at the scene. If you can, take your phone and capture any photographs of where your cars were after the accident, any skid marks that were left behind, any street signs or construction signs, damage to both cars, and any other evidence that you think may be helpful later on.
- Retain a personal injury attorney. This may seem like the last thing you want to do as you are trying to figure out how to pay your medical bills and deal with the hassle of an accident, however, it could end up saving you time and money in the long run.
Get in touch with our legal team today during a free consultation and discover the benefits of having a lawyer by your side. We can help to recover the compensation you deserve so that you can heal and focus on getting your day-to-day life back on track.